March 31, 2015

How to: Throw a Gold & Pink First Birthday Party


For Halle's first birthday party I started planning a couple (okay, a few) months beforehand. I knew I wanted to do something ultra girly and pink because I had done something really universal and gender neutral with Noelle's first birthday party. Seeing that this was my last child, and last girl, I wanted to go out as girly as possible. :) After a trip to Hobby Lobby, I found an awesome "baby's first year" picture frame that was gold and soft pink. I had to get it. Once I got it, I knew that was my theme: gold and pink.

I was inspired to keep with a soft, more vintage, shabby chic look. I made these banners myself with glitter cut out letters, and DIY Spritz banner kits from Target.


I knew that I wanted beautiful gold bottles with fresh flowers, but did not want to spend a ton of money on the decor. So we started collecting empty wine, beer, and various other liquor bottles months before the event. Our house looked like a frat house after a party, lol. I got some standard gold spray paint from Hobby Lobby and spray painted the bottles (plus some old picture frames, and a tutu holder) gold myself.

They turned out awesome! And it was so, so easy. Total cost: $10 for all the centerpieces.

On the day of the party I went to Trader Joe's and picked out some fresh flowers in soft pink, purple, and white. It was GORGEOUS!! I was really pleased.

Of course food labels. (We obviously had pizza, lol.)

 I ordered her cake from Wal-Mart, and they give you a free matching smash cake! Great, great deal. I think many places do this, including Byerly's and Target if you spend over a certain amount on your cake order.



That was the picture frame that inspired the whole look and feel of the party!! Love it.

For other decor I got balloons, framed pictures from Halle's first year photo shoot (which of course I tailored to match the party), her ultra sound picture, and a tassel banner with her cake smash pictures. I also made my own gold balloon weights because it was so much cheaper (and better looking) than the expensive ones from the party store. All I did was cover rocks from my hard with gold tissue paper and some wire.

Better look at the balloon weights. 

We had our party at Davanni's in their party room, which worked out perfectly for our party size. I also liked their wood panels! It matched great, and it was a perfect space to use, without ever previously being in it! I had never even dined at the location before and didn't even know what the room's set up was like, but it worked out awesome. 

Joey also helped me by cutting out this one from some cardboard boxes we had in the garage, and then I made a collage of photos from her first year. It turned out so cute, and it was a great way to display some of our favorite pictures!


On each table I had a few bottles with the flowers, and each table held a different memento from Halle's first year...like this flip book with her pictures by month. Another table had her baby book, another a photo album, etc.

Instead of doing a traditional guestbook (I usually find a book that matches the theme of the party for people to sign) I went with something different. I decided to have everyone fill out a "Well Wishes" letter to Halle. I'm going to compile all the letters into a scrapbook for Halle. 

Here is what they looked like and the questions I used.

Halle also got her own little table lol. This happened because 1. I did not want to bring her high chair to the party, 2. Davanni's did not have a high chair with a tray. It ended up being cute. I just cut one of my long rectangle tablecloths in half, and then taped the sides of the cloth to the underside of the table so she couldn't tear the thing off. I also had to get one of those awesome giant gold number balloons. :)

She looked so cute at her throne.

It ended up being so beautiful and came together great. I'm happy with the results. :)
Good luck planning your own 1st birthday party!!

2 comments:

  1. P.S. that cake was yummy! good to know about the matching smash cake deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok my first comment didn't get published for some reason... I said: It seriously came out so beautiful!!! I had no idea so much of it was DIY, you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...