September 18, 2014

Top Toddler Girl Books


A while ago I had written a post about what I thought were the top toddler girl toys, from observing what Noelle enjoyed her second year of life. I had mentioned that she LOVES books, and decided that I really should dedicate a whole entire post just on the excellent books we have come across! I have put together a collection of our favorite girly toddler books!

1. First and foremost will always be FANCY NANCY (by Jane O'Connor)! These books are just wonderful. Fancy Nancy comes in the form of picture books, as well as I Can Read books, and chapter books (for the growing Nancy). Noelle owns a few of the picture books and a treasury of the I Can Read books. They are so great. First, Fancy Nancy is a very likable character. She is a charismatic, smart, friendly little girl who loves to be fancy. All her books have elaborate, beautiful pictures with great detail, and teach young ones a ton of new (fancy) words. Noelle LOVES everything Fancy Nancy, and so do I. I hope that we grow with Nancy and never tire of these books!

2. The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch. This book rocks. I remember reading this when I was younger. This is a great book, that shows girls that you can be the hero and save the prince, and that you don't even need the prince after all! (Elizabeth leaves Prince Ronald at the end for being a lazy bum! Hehe.) Noelle and I even made a paper bag princess dress last year after we read the book 500 times.

3. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. Noelle has always loved this book. It teaches a valuable lesson, is short and sweet (thank heavens) and has "pretty fishies" as Noelle says. This has been a favorite since she was very young.

4.  Eric Carle books. Noelle has loved these always. This is how I came up with the theme to her first birthday party. Noelle loves all his books, especially "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" (which she can recite from heart), "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," "Papa Will You Get The Moon For Me" and some others. These books are also great because they all teach something. The Hungry Caterpillar obviously teaches about the transformation a caterpillar takes during metamorphosis, Brown Bear teaches about colors and animals, The Secret Birthday Message teaches about shapes, etc. I love these books from an educator's point of view also!

5. Llama, Llama books by Anna Dewdney. We love these! They are just so cute. Although they are a bit longer, they rhyme, making it easy for little ones to pay attention to. Noelle enjoys her board book versions, as well as the normal Llama Llama books. I like the original Llama, Llama, Red Pajama book because it reminds me of Noelle...always screaming for me after being tucked in. It also reminds her that "mama is always there, even if she isn't near."

6. How Do Dinosaurs series by Jane Yolen. Noelle is a big fan of these books. They are truly awesome. Not only are the illustrations amazing, but the rhymes are well written, and each books teaches your child something. (Like manners in How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food, doing chores in How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms, and so on.) There are so many in this serious and we love them. We have three of them so far, but there are so, so many more!

7.  Tumble Bumble by Felicia Bond. It's just one of those enjoyable toddler books that easily becomes a classic. Much like other classics we love, like 8. Jamberry by Bruce Degen!
 

9.  P.K Hallinan has a series of books out that we love. I stumbled across them before Noelle was even born and purchased "My Mommy and I," and "My Daddy and I." They are adorable books that rhyme, are perfect for little hands, and are just sweet. Each book has a little mention of God in there too. Nothing obnoxious, but just a sweet something, like saying prayers with mommy or thanking God with daddy. Since the initial two, we have also added "My Sister and I," "My Grandma and I," and "My Grandpa and I." P.K Hallinan also have other sweets one about friends, sharing, kindness, God, etc.

10. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (one of my faves). This has always been one of my personal favorites and I got it when I was pregnant for the first time. Lucky for me, Noelle likes it too. She loves to read it and talks about the old man and the tree all the time. It's such a sweet story, and I think she will appreciate a lot more one day when she's older.

11. First Look & Finds. These are Noelle's absolute favorite books!! Ever since she started to pick things out of books, these have been her favorites. We have SO many of them. She enjoys looking for the items, characters, shapes, etc. and has learned so much from these books! It's also fun that they make this book with so many different recognizable characters. We have Pooh, Sofia, Princesses, Wonder Pets, Sesame Street, Hello Kitty, etc.

12. Little Critter by Mercer Mayer. These books are great toddler books. They have such a large series that it covers pretty much every topic you want. We read a lot of Little Critter books last year including "The New Baby," "Going to the Doctor," "Going to School," "Shopping with Mommy," etc. Noelle also likes to watch these books on youtube. There is a channel that makes the books come to life...not really a movie, but more interactive than a book!

13. Miss Lina's Ballerinas by Grace Maccarone. Noelle likes these books, but I love them, lol. It's just a cute series about a group of ballerinas that dance at Miss Lina's studio. They are friends and dance every where they go. Adorable series. There are currently three of them!

14. Ballet Kitty by Bernette Ford. This kitty is so cute. We have one of the books, but have read them all. Noelle loves the one we have, which is the one where kitty can't find her ballet slippers. You have to go through the book, opening up her drawers, closets, etc. to look for the missing slippers! It's a fun touch and feel book, as well as a open the flap book.

15. Max & Ruby by Rosemary Wells. Oh Rosemary Wells...where would we be without you? Noelle absolutely loves all things Max & Ruby. There are tons and tons of books about Max and his sister Ruby, and all the shenanigans they get into. Max is the unruly, younger brother, while Ruby is the girly, somewhat bossy older sister. Noelle loves these books, and also the TV show!

15. Always Daddy's Princess by Karen Kingsbury. This is one of the best books I have ever come across!! Before Joey's first Father's Day, Noelle and I found this book, and I cried right then and there at the bookstore reading it. It's definitely a beautiful, heartfelt book about a little girl growing up with her daddy. It's so wonderful. We gave it to Joey (who also cried), and now it sits on Noelle's bookshelf. We read it quite often and Noelle loves to look at the pictures and points at herself and daddy in the book. :)

My other Top Book Lists: (Coming Soon)
Top Baby Books
Top Books for Soon To Older Siblings


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...