April 23, 2014

How Do You Reward Yourself, Mama?

I was recently asked, "How do you reward yourself?"* It took me a rather lengthy time to come up with an answer. Ever since becoming a mom I've been too busy to take time out for myself, to get a manicure or pedicure for example, like I once did. Not only am I busy, but those types of indulgences no longer intrigue me. If I find some extra money it will usually goes towards a new doll for Noelle, rather than a new scarf or handbag for me. I vaguely remember back B.C (before children) I could easily reward myself - purses, sunglasses, a trip to the spa - I had many ways to indulge myself after a rough week at work, or a hard exam. So I sat there, and thought, and thought, and thought. How DO I reward myself?!

About a year and a half ago I was still trying to get to my goal weight after having Noelle and I just couldn't get there with my normal workouts. I had never been much of a runner. Every time I saw people running I thought it looked miserable. I often told others that if I was running, something was after me. I would never, ever run for the fun of it. So after convincing myself that I had to give it the good old college try, I became addicted.

Rain or shine, day or night, I made it a priority to fit it into my schedule. It was the perfect "me time" and reward. I loved getting the fresh air, and being by myself. The only things I had to concentrate on was my breathing and my thoughts. I often found myself going in the evening after Noelle was in bed (only time I could find), so I often would run during the sunset. I loved the feeling I got from a good run while the air got cooler and the sun was setting. It was so peaceful! I had found my zen. I also loved to out beat myself and strived to run a bit farther, or a bit longer each time.

It really became a true reward to myself when I signed up for my first 5K. I have never been one to fork money over easily. I've always wanted to save money for emergencies or for Noelle. Years ago I would have never thought to hand over money to run of all things. Pay for torture?! Now, signing up for a race is my ultimate indulgence. Paying to participate in a run and to feel that accomplishment is my ultimate high. I love it.

So now, almost a month after I've had my second, Halle, I'm getting ready to lace up my running shoes once more. I absolutely cannot wait. Nothing feels more rewarding to me than getting to go sweat, think, and enjoy the outdoors with me, myself, and I. It's gratifying, cleansing, rejuvenating, and definitely rewarding after a day of being super mom! How do YOU reward yourself?

1 comment:

  1. awesome! I really enjoy running as a reward too :) and reading blogs haha - thanks for having one that is fun for me to read! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...