August 10, 2013

Run, Mama, Run!

As I have mentioned in a past post, I finally reached my weight goals after almost 2 years since last being pregnant. I took the "eating for two" a little too literally and packed on much more than I should have! (50+ lbs!) I finally got back to my pre-baby weight, plus some! I'm happy to say I am at my goal weight that I had set for myself even before I got pregnant! One of the ways I did this was through running. I have never been a runner. Just the thought of running was unappealing and upsetting. I've always had the mentality that I would run if I was being chased, and that was about it. Well, I started running - slowly at first, in intervals, and got hooked. Now I try to get out there for a run at least 3x a week. 

I'm happy to say that I also participated in my first 5K race (The Urban Wildland) with some of my girlfriends. It was a new world to me, never being to a race before. It was fun, exhilarating, and so motivating to be around other runners. I had actually eased down on training right before the 5K and wish I hadn't, seeing that if I could have finished 5 minutes earlier I could have possibly made the top 10 women!

This is what I have found to be my new favorite way to take time out for myself and to do something good for my body and mind. I always feel awesome after a run, and I figure getting out there, breathing in fresh air and working the lungs and legs is never a bad thing. So even if my time or my distance isn't amazing, any run is better than no run.


Here's Jessie pre-run. This was her 2nd 5K! Go girl!

Taking a lil' puff on the inhaler before the race!

Allie, our seasoned runner!

The newbie!

Heather was planning on running with us, but ended up not being able to. She and Gavin did meet us afterwards though for some breakfast!

A picture of me about to cross the finish line, taken by The Urban Wildland! It sure was funny seeing myself on their site!

Not bad for my first 5K!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...