July 18, 2011

Making of a Nursery

Joey and I have had the itch (or maybe it was mostly just me) to nest pretty much from the beginning of the pregnancy. It didn't take long after the 12 week mark for us to go shopping for nursery items, since we figured those were pretty big ticket items that others won't get us. Joey put together a crib that we found at Baby Depot (although, afterwards I found out I could have gotten it from Target, or from Wal-Mart for not only cheaper but WITH a mattress-UGH). It took us a few visits to Baby Depot and Babies R Us to figure out what kind of wood we wanted in the nursery and decided to go with natural to match the trim in the bedroom. It just so happened that his sister Heather also gave us her old glider rocking chair which was also in natural wood, so it really seemed like the best choice. After that I had the severe itch to get the dresser. Again, because I have zero patience and lack the stamina to do extensive research nowadays, we ended up buying a beautiful dresser that we loved from Target, however to find out I could have saved at least $80 if I had gotten it at Wal-Mart. Oy. I think I have finally leaned my lesson: Buy furniture from Wal-Mart. Anyways, besides the price, we loved it and didn't want to mess around with returning and re-buying anything, especially since it weighed at least 175 pounds. Because I am truly a handy woman ;) I put the dresser together myself one determined night in roughly 3 hours. It was a process but was well worth it-I love this dresser! 



Once we had our two big ticket items we started messing around with the furniture placement in the nursery. We also got a really affordable bookcase for the room as well to place some of the books and baby items I was starting to accumulate. Here is what we had come up with first. As you can see, we also had a fairly neutral tone going in the room. 
 Joey originally liked the idea of having the crib near the door, so we could crack the door open to "spy" on our child. :)

Once it was discovered that it was a girl, the room took a drastic turn! First I thought I would go with a really classic, shabby chic decor that would be really feminine but not exactly "kiddish." That quickly changed for me when I found these art pieces at Target (the tiara) and Home Goods (the other two). I never thought I'd be THIS girly with a girl's room but it just sort of fell into place, especially since I knew I wanted to go with light pink and light sage green. 
All hung up thanks to the princess' daddy.
Things got even more girly when I recently found this bookcase at a Once Upon a Child. I had originally registered for it at Target, but had to buy it myself when I found it at the consignment shop because the price was too good to beat. 
So here you have it. Baby Wagner's nursery so far is an unbelievably girly space, which will be really troublesome if she ends up being a he! Although, I'm pretty assured since the sonograph lady said she found the labia, and I don't think boys can have those. ;) More of the nursery so far:

Here are my next projects that I would like to conquer, since they seem easy enough to tackle!

 These bookends are so cute, but super pricey! They are $40 for each set. That is way over budget for us, seeing that I think I can make these for fairly cheap with wood letters from Michaels, some paint, wood and glue. Keep your eyes open for my craftiness. It only comes out a few times per year.
 This sign isn't really necessary (but have any of my purchases so far been necessary?) but I think is pretty cute to slide over the doorknob when you don't want people ringing the doorbell or being obnoxiously loud. This may or may not make my to do list, but I thought it would be easy enough to make if I really wanted to. Better than paying $30 for it!

 Again, something completely unneeded, but so cute! These barrette holders are super cute decor and (somewhat) practical. When I showed these to Joey he asked me why I couldn't put the barrettes in a box or basket. Well, of course I can. But that wouldn't be as fun now would it? :) I'm going to try to tackle this project some time this summer!

More later!
Love,
Diana



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...